Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday-Another Recipe!

We gotta hott one tonight! HA. Ten points for you if you if you can guess where that first sentence came from. It seemed fitting. Ok, done with the cornyness (sp?). So, I found this at allrecipes.com a couple of months ago, in another one of my desperate attempts to find a new recipe that would break up the bland, boring, typical rotation of tacos, spaghetti, and roasted chicken. We've had a thing for Italian sausage lately, and of course we are all pasta connoisseur's, so this seemed a good fit. I made a couple of small adjustments, and it turned out great. So pull up tonight to a warm bowl of this delicious soup, and savor both the flavor, AND the fact that Monday is Over! And as always (yet none of you ever do this--poor sports!) Let me know what you think!  Enjoy :)

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red wine (I didnt have wine so I just sub'd more beef broth)
4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded, and chopped (too much work! I just added a 15oz can of petite diced tomatoes)
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:

In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.

Sauté onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.

5 comments:

  1. Im loving your blog mandy!! You have done such a good job so far! I cant believe you have managed to blog so much already! i dont have any kids and I cant find the time to do ANYTHING consistently! I love your idea for Mondays however, I think you should do a delicious vegetarian recipe one week!!! :o) Just a suggestion from your vegetarian cuz! :o) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I left this comment on the Multiples blog post
    I feel for you so much. I remember those early days - I am surprised I didn't lose my mind actually :)

    Mine are 18 months old now.

    We both work full time and we have a nanny. My family is all 1100 km away so no help there. My husband's family is here but not very into the kids (I just wrote about this on Friday actually - come read).

    While I'm very grateful for the nanny, I wish we had more babysitting type help - we have made a decision to have more dates this year and we are paying for babysitting to do that plus one 2-hour stint a month from MIL.

    I still feel like they're a 2-person job for the whole day - I can do about half a day but then I need a break and they need to go nap :)

    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your featured post on M&M today! Hope you get lots of bloggy love! Have a great week! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy you have a beautiful family! It was great to read your guest post as Multiples and More.
    I'm following you now on GFC.
    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linking over from M&M! :) :)

    I've made a couple of recipes with Italian sausage in the past couple of weeks...a baked ziti (1/2 pound ground beef and 2 links of hot Italian sausage for some kick); and a vegetarian spinach-artichoke lasagna with feta cheese (added 2 links Italian sausage for some kick there, too). I've been so pleasantly surprised that our girls (2 years old) loved both dishes!

    Your soup sounds great...our girls love zucchini, so I might have to work this one into the rotation.

    Nice to "meet" a fellow Mandy! :)

    ReplyDelete