Monday, January 24, 2011

MONDAY-FOR THE FOODIES!

Hello Monday. Wow, did it just straight up slam everyone else in the face too?? Maybe I am feeling the effect of it even more than usual because I am sick. SICK SICK SICK. Nasty cold! And I am trying desperately not to share it with anyone, especially my kids. 3 sick kids might just send me right on over that edge, the one that is already in such close proximity. But anyway, I have another great recipe to share that will hopefully help a few of you smoothe over the weekly grind. Its fairly quick, super yummy, left-over producing, can be made ahead of time, and can even be altered slightly to accomodate my vegetarian buddies (you know who you are). It is also a recipe that can be played with. So try this one out and please let me know what you think :) ENJOY!


SOUTH-OF-THE-BORDER STUFFED SHELLS

INGREDIENTS
24 uncooked jumbo shells
1 1/2 grated cup Monterey Jack cheese and/or cheddar cheese
1 16 oz jar picante sauce
1 8 oz can tomato sauce 
1/2 cup water
1 chopped medium onion
1 lb ground beef lean
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder 

DIRECTIONS
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. Mix picante sauce, tomato sauce and water in small bowl.
3. In a skillet, cook onion and ground beef in oil over medium heat until meat is browned and onion is tender (if using non-stick skillet, use only 1 teaspoon of olive oil).
4. Remove from heat and drain off fat.
5. Add chili powder, 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 cup picante sauce mixture to meat mixture.
6. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.
7. Pour half of remaining picante sauce mixture in bottom of 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
8. Fill each cooked shell with 1 to 2 tablespoons of mixture and place shells in baking dish.
9. Pour remaining picante mixture over top of shells.
10. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 F for 20 to 30 minutes.
11. Uncover, add remaining 1 cup cheese and bake, uncovered, an additional 5 minutes until cheese melts.
12. Serve immediately.

TIP: This recipe can be assembled and frozen. To bake, thaw at room temperature for 8 hours and bake as directed above.

* Sometimes I add about 3/4 of a can of corn.
And I pretty much always add more cheese than it calls for. Feel free to do the same :)


3 comments:

  1. Sorry you are under the weather..we keep passing a head cold around in our house. I hope you get better soon without passing it to the boys! Take care, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I do these I sometimes chop up fresh baby spinach and add it to the ground beef at the last minute. It adds color and of course some good leafy greens, too! But we like spinach and others may not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very yummy! And best of all something I can ahead!

    ReplyDelete