Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy V-Day!

Happy (belated) Valentines Day everyone! So I did the thing I told myself I would never do. I was late on my blog post. I always do recipes on Mondays. Always. And im a day late. But I still have my dollar in my pocket. (the saying...a day late and a dollar short? nevermind.) I apologize and I am armed with a couple of good excuses. Ready for them? Family. Valentines Day. There they are. Family comes first as always, and it was a day that the kids were all very demanding. And it was Valentines day, which added much more to an already swamped busy, daily routine. Anyway, in celebration of Valentines Day, I am sharing a sugar cookie recipe that I got from Amanda Pratt. I dont go so far as to make the homemade buttercream frosting that she does, but the cookies are darn good! I am also sharing a VERY quick, crockpot pork chop recipe that I got from my friend Crissy. Its so easy, you just might die of relief when you see it. I decided to make that for dinner because most of my day was taken up by the in-lou-of-the-holiday cookie baking. Yes, it takes me an entire day to make a batch of cookies because, DUH....I have 3 kids under 2! So.... I wanted something that allowed me to do practically nothing and still produce a meal that I could feed my family without hanging my head in shame.

A friend of mine, Stephanie, who also has twins (girls that are 1) came over yesterday afternoon for a cookie baking visit :) So Kyle and I pre-made the cookie dough so that it was chilled and ready to roll once Steph and the girls got here. Kyle LOVES to help cook. And the kid is just plain addicted to helping with all of the chores. I know, he is awesome, and I am so lucky!



So shortly after the cookie dough was done, Kyle went down for a nap and soon after Steph and the girls came over. My little guys were awake and completely entertained by the girls, and Kyle snoozed away the whole time. Because it took forever just to get the stinkin' cookies baked, Stephanie and the little ladies had to leave for nap time before we got a chance to frost/sprinkle them. Well come on...we had 2 sets of twins to deal with people....We were doing good to just get through cutting the hearts out of the dough without going through 6 bottles of wine!


I waited the rest of the day for Kyle to wake up, and it did take practically the rest of the day for that to happen! He took a marathon nap from 12-5! I decided to start on the frosting of the cookies when I realized that something felt off about it. I was quietly standing there, frosting cookies, and feeling empty. And like I wasnt having any fun. I kept reminding myself that this is what I complain about a lot....never getting even 5 minutes to do something by myself and without interruption. And here I was, with that opportunity. And I hated it. It became official right there. I have FINALLY adapted. I have adpated to this crazy, whirlwind of a life, with 3 kids under 2, and a set of infant twins. I have adapted because, even the most mundane of a thing, seemed to create an empty feeling within me when I was doing it without my kids. I couldnt stand it any longer, so I went and woke Kyle up. Im sure the phrase "Hey Buddy, you want to go help Mommy frost some cookies" will get ANY kid to rip right out of a nap, however good of one it might be. So I grabbed him a "big chair", slid it right up next to me, and proceeded to frost and decorate the rest of the cookies. And it felt right. Fulfilling. Fun. Exactly how it should be. You can see in the picture that he still has those "just woke up" sleepy eyes. I even forced Devin to get involved with the frosting :)

   
Yes, we torture our children sometimes. He doesnt seem too frazzled about it though.


So. We finished the cookies. Together. Mother and Sons. Whatever their involvement. And it was exactly how I wanted it to be.

                                     

BTW, just using strawberry frosting instead of white frosting dyed with food coloring, is WAY better!

And to top the whole day off, my husband walked through the door after work with THIS.....




I suppose he loves me ;-)

OK, NOW THAT IT HAVE TORTURED YOU WITH THAT SUPER LONG POST, HERE ARE THE RECIPES :)


SUGAR COOKIES
1 c butter
1 c white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla until light & fluffy. In another bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Blend well. Chill dough for 2 hours.

Roll dough on lightly floured surface, about 1/4" thick & cut into shapes.

Bake 400* on ungreased cookie sheet for 4-6 minutes, remove from pan, & cool on wire racks.


CROCK-POT PORK CHOPS

Place 4 Pork Chops in the crock-pot.
Cover with 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.
Cook on low for 8 hrs, or on high for 4 hours.

Thats it!! Easy Peasy!
I served ours with rice and green beans :)


1 comment:

  1. I can really relate to this feeling of emptiness - when you wanted your little guy to be involved. The only time it felt okay was when I was doing it to surprise the kids - then it was fun and I was always rushing to get finished before they came in or got home from school or????

    ReplyDelete