Friday, July 1, 2011

1st Birthday

Ahhhhh. How do I even start this post? I'm tearing up already.

One year ago today, I was 3 1/2cm dilated and 37w 2d pregnant with the twins. Going in for another weekly routine check up. Discouraged and stressed that they might never come. Because WHO in the world sits at 3 1/2cm for over a week, with twins, and not on bed rest mind you. I was super active and wrangling an 18 month old all day, and still.....nothing. Anyway, I had to see the on call because my Dr. was on vacation (doesn't it seem like they vacation more than they actually work?). And soooo...I show up at the office where they usually just do ultrasounds, to see the on call midwife. The nurse came in, did the usual blood pressure taking, the 20 questions about your pee, swelling, and contractions asking, and ordered me to "undress from the waist down". So, she left and I did just that. Wrapped their dollar store brand little white sheet around my waist and proceeded to step up onto the table. As the first foot landed on the step, I felt a trickle run down my leg. Ahhh crap, now I just peed myself. And now I have to get down and go clean it up. (That's the state of mind I was in, because you see, when you are full term with twins...you slowly start losing control of all basic bodily functions. With bladder control heading up that list, and the ability to stand up and walk more than 5 feet at a time, coming in a close second.) So, where was I?...oh yes, cleaning up the pee. So, I stepped down and what.do.you.know....but more pee? Ok, all dignity has just disappeared ENTIRELY. So as I waddle over to the paper towel dispenser a GUSH of fluid starts running across the floor. OhhhhK! Unless my bladder is the size of a horse's, I do believe my water just broke! Hallelujah!!! (Sidenote, its 2:30pm) Go to the door, peek my head out and ask for help through my, crying-and-laughing-at-the-same-time, voice. So, they come in and check me...dilated to 3 1/2 still, babies heads low. Quick ultrasound to make sure they are still both head down. YES! They were! Call the husband, who on this particular day leaves his phone at home. Frick. Call the work line, someone else answers. Eventually he calls back and I get to tell him that ITS TIME! Call my Dad who is in the area for work. And, get ready to deliver these babies! So they basically tell me to, pack up your toddler and head over to the hospital. Oh, and congratulations. Ummm......       That's, it?  I'm in labor, and I just pack up my 18 month old, still a baby himself, kid and drive myself to the hospital?! This was not what I had seen on TLC's "A Baby Story". But ok, whatever. Go to the hospital and they tell me that all but one of the rooms are full, and that particular one is dirty and needs cleaned. So....AN HOUR AND A HALF LATER I get my irritated, painfully contracting, lard ass into THAT room.


4 PM. And, the most painful labor proceeds to take over my mind, and body. Maintaining OK, they check me and I'm 7cm. Labor getting worse, but I'm dealing. Barely. And then, Mr. Devin must have pushed his feet off his little brother like he was Michael Phelps pushing off the pool wall on the first turn of his Olympic swim race. And I swear he went from -1 station to +3 station in that VERY maneuver! It hurt SO bad, I could never even accurately describe it. It was loud too, I heard it. And that FREAKED me out. I totally went into a hysterical panic attack. There was NO way I could do this for 2 1/2 more centimeters! I was shaking, and crying, and BEGGING for an epidural. They tried to convince me that I was almost there and to try to make it, but at that point...they could all Go.To.Hell. So I got my epidural. And, it ended up being one of those that only work on one side, and then it only worked about 50% on that one side. But there was some relief, and that was huge. I was like 8cm by then. And about 15 minutes later the could see Dev's head coming. So they wheeled me to the O.R., threw my legs in the stirrups and told me to push.


2 push's later, at 7:38 pm, Devin Wayne Karnbach was born.


Weighing 6lbs 7oz


And then they told me that I could push if I wanted to, but I didn't really need to. So I gave a little half push. And at 7:44 pm, Bryce Kayden Karnbach was born.


Weighing 6lbs 1oz


Our boys are both finally here! Big, nice weights for twins, and healthy as could possibly be. And absolutely GORGEOUS!




I'm still in complete shock that it has been a full year since that day. The beginning was So hard, and So rough, and more challenging than anything I have ever done. And probably will ever do. But I can honestly say, IT WAS SO WORTH IT! To say that we are blessed is a huge understatement. Twins are nowhere in either of our families (even if our grandparents might tell you there were, back in 1814 or something - which has no influence on us, these many generations out), and there was no fertility help whatsoever. The chances of twinning, with and without fertility help, is 1 in 250. To have identicals is even less likely, and to be in the 20th percentile of "different sacs, different placentas, but STILL idenicals" group, is very rare. So all factors considered, our chances of winning the lottery probably would have been higher than having what we have with our twins. That is not luck. That is not chance. For some reason, that I have yet to discover or understand, this was part of God's plan for us. And I couldn't be more thankful. We have really learned a lot about ourselves and discovered what we were truly made of through this past year, and it is still a huge challenge. But we will cherish this blessing that is our twin boys, and never stop trying to be the best parents we can possibly be to them. They have changed our world, for the better no doubt, and we could never imagine life without them.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEVIN & BRYCE, WE LOVE YOU WILL ALL OF OUR HEARTS!




2 comments:

  1. I love reading other moms birth stories...especially when it's multiples. That's so awesome to see the pics and read about your experience. Your babies are so beautiful! Congrats on making it a whole year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are SO adorable love that red hair!

    ReplyDelete